7 ?s with Pina Sama
Pina began her career in Toronto, where she currently hosts the Midday show on Z103.5. When she’s not hosting her show, she’s still in front of the mic performing an array of voiceover services, including imaging. Her sound has been described as “fresh, solid energy” and can currently be heard on a variety of stations across Canada.
1) How did you get your start in radio? After graduating from university, I wanted to get into TV. It was difficult to land a full-time gig, so I thought, “Why not radio?!” Z103.5 was one of the stations I sent my resume to and they called me the next day! I started a few days later working as the President’s assistant. After doing some commercial work for the station, I approached the PD (several times) about trying me out on air. He eventally agreed. See kids, persistence pays off! I started off doing overnights, then entertainment updates, then fill-in and weekends….and now, I host the Midday Show at Z103.5!
2) What’s your favorite thing about working in the industry? It’s hard to list just one thing because I love so many things! I love that it doesn’t feel like work. I love that it feels like I’m hanging out with friends everyday, playing music, talking about interesting things. I love interviewing artists. I love meeting listeners. I love communicating – on air and online.
3)What is your favorite thing about living in the Toronto area? Besides being a beautiful city with great people, there is always something going on. It’s impossible to be bored. Plus, Drake lives here!
4) Any chance the Blue Jays win the A.L. East this year? There’s only one answer – YES! Go Jays Go! #Batflip
5) What did it feel like the first time you heard your voice on the radio? Amazing! And unreal. And I might’ve called up everyone I knew to tell them I was on the radio. So ya…pretty exciting!
6) Other than your voice, what’s the most important piece of equipment in the studio? My headphones. I’m very picky about what sound I like, so having the right headphones is important.
7) How exactly did you end up meeting NKOTB? I’m known for my love of boybands, specifically NKOTB. In fact, I’ve tweeted about them so much that they kinda know who I am. I’ve met them a few times, and I even had the chance to introduce Jordan Knight at a couple of his solo shows. Oh, I also appear in the group’s lyric video for “Remix.” Blockhead for life!
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/263516397″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]