Behind The Mic with Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson is a voiceover rockstar, a dad to two adorable kids, and the all-time leading rusher for the San Francisco 49ers…or maybe that last one is in his dreams. But in reality, Neil is an all-star voiceover talent who brings the heat in the booth and we are BIG FANS of this guy.
1) What radio VO work have you done in the past (stations/markets)? WSTR/Atlanta, KKGO/LA, KALC/Denver, WMC/Memphis, WOTW/Orlando, KCDU/Monterrey, WMMM/Madison… the list goes on.
2) What are you up to presently (freelance/on-staff at a station)? Full-time dad, part time VO guy.
3) What do you love about your job? Making someone else’s words my own. I’ve always loved psychology and VO allows me to really dive into the working mind of both the writer and the consumer.
4) Have you ever had a voice coach? Would you recommend it? For me, coaching has been an instrumental tool in my career success. I look at my coaches from the perspective of an athlete. Athletes train daily through their career…with coaches. Success is ultimately up to you and your ability… but great coaches are champions for great talent. And a great coach is going to help you become the best YOU you can be.
5) If you weren’t doing voiceover, what else do you think you’d be doing for a career? I shutter to think about life in the “real” world. But, I don’t think I’d be doing anything corporate. Probably something home based.
6) Which production system do you use and why? Twisted Wave – I just don’t need anything fancier than that for VO.
7) What are your favorite plugins (screenshots, if available)? For those clients that request processing here is a “stack” I created in Twisted Wave. It’s complex, but doesn’t sound like it when it’s applied to the track.
8) What gear do you use (microphone, pre-amp, booth, etc)? My microphone is a Sennheiser 8040, pre-amp is an Apollo Duo, and booth is custom built.
9) What is the best voice processing trick or voice-over technique everyone should know? Don’t worry how it sounds or how you sound. Figure out the intent of what it is you’re trying to say. Remember that YOU are enough.
10) If you could invite one person to dinner, living or dead, who would it be (non-family)? Bill Walsh. Legendary 49ers head coach and architect of the 49ers dynasty in the 80’s and 90’s. I’d love to talk with him about all the things it takes to be a successful leader, entrepreneur, coach, and so on. I’m a big fan of the books associated with his leadership. I’d say they are a must read for anyone in a management or self-employment level.
11) If you could travel anywhere in the world right now where would you go and why? Fiji. I love the beach and this may be one of the prettiest beaches I have ever seen. Perhaps one day I’ll sneak away and go see it for myself.
***WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS***
Benztown Link: http://benztown.com/brigade/neil-wilson