Behind The Mic with Rachel McGrath
She likes to talk, and we love to listen. Rachel McGrath has a universal yet unique voice that can be heard across the globe…and she’ll make sure of it! Not only is she hard-working and great at what she does, she’s a really cool chick who puts the FUN in REALLY FUN.
1) What radio VO work have you done in the past (stations/markets)? Hi! Some of my stations/markets include include 95 5 PLJ New York, 95 5 KLOS LA, Z 103 5 Toronto, US 101 Chattanooga, 102 1 The Edge Dallas, 94.5 PST Trenton, 99. 9 KEZ Phoenix, Todays 101.9 Baltimore, and 101 9 KINK Portland.
2) What are you up to presently (freelance/on-staff at a station)? My last job where I had to show up to a building wearing non-pajama clothing (most of the time) was at iHeart ATL. I was Imaging and Commercial Production Director for almost 5 years and in 2012, I made the leap to work for myself; and now I only do VO. I’m represented by my super awesome agents at Atlas Talent.
3) What do you love about your job? I think my favorite thing would have to be when I tell non industry people what I do for a living, they instantly say “That sounds so easy! I’ve always wanted to do that!!”. Oh wait- no- hold on- wrong question. *wink* My real favorite thing is getting positive feedback. I NEVER get sick of people saying kind things. It lifts me up and makes my day brighter every single time.
4) What is your dream gig? This may come off as sounding extremely silly, but I’m already doing it. Do I want to do way more TV eventually? Yep. Am I voicing a whole bunch of radio stations and getting to work with fabulous, creative minds- who sometimes are completely hysterical and make my days way more enjoyable- already? Yep. If I didn’t think this was already a dream job, I’d definitely need to have my “Grateful” button examined.
5) Can you offer 3 helpful tips for newbies trying to make it in the voice-over industry? A) Work hard. Just when you think you’ve done all the work you can, do some more. There are constantly people who will want your job, should you land one, never get too comfortable or else someone will take it. B) Stop trying to sound like someone else. You’ll sound completely ridiculous if you try to sound like anyone but yourself. C) Got an attitude? THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW. I don’t care how you are in your non-work life; when it comes to dealing with clients, be kind and cooperative.
6) Favorite TV show of all time? Star Trek: The Next Generation. If I could be in a room alone with Picard- or Riker- or both…ah……wait……whats going on? Make it so!
7) Elvis or The Beatles? Neither. Axl.
8) Biggest pet peeve? People who don’t speak their mind. I’d rather hate what you’re saying but know it’s your truth than have to speculate as to whether or not every every word coming out of your mouth is a carefully rehearsed piece of political correctness.
9) What’s your guilty pleasure? I can’t believe I’m admitting this. I read. I know what’s going on in the world (mostly). I’m a good human who cares about others’ feelings. But take ‘The Real Housewives of Atlanta” away from me, and I’m going to be a little perturbed.
10) Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? She’s photographing me; and hopefully a funny, witty, quirky, kind soul, in possession of some killer facial hair – on our African safari. We just saw about a zillion majestic creatures, and now she’s capturing us whimsically wandering through our glamping headquarters, in search of a pool, a cocktail, and a never ending rainbow.
Rachel answers more interview questions and takes us on a home studio tour!
Benztown Link: http://benztown.com/brigade/rachel-mcgrath