Heads Up: Adding reverb to get your VO mixed in!
Reverbs are a great tool to create transitions or “false endings”. It’s also a common used mix tool in music production. But used on VO tracks I recommend to add it in moderation, as this helps to sit your VO better in the mix and ensures audibility.
We are using this technique for a long time now and I just found a free Pro Tools Expert Tutorial which explains it pretty nice. The guys are using Waves Renaissance on a rap vocal track, but that’s basically the same like VO and works with any other reverb plugin.
Using this technique:
- Make sure the reverb is not heard as a reverb. Use it as a general room tone
- Use small decay times and small rooms
- Use a medium amount of diffusion
- Use quiet early reflections
- Bring down wet/dry knob when using it as an insert.
Click here to see the full tutorial: